Friday, February 27, 2009

Ben Foster Targets League Cup Win For Manchester United

United's English goalkeeper thinks Sunday's game might be his best chance for a medal this season.

Being a goalkeeper at Manchester United at the moment must be tricky, at least if you're not Edwin van der Sar. Whilst the Dutchman keeps clean sheet after clean sheet, men like reserve goalkeeper Ben Foster are forced to watch from the sidelines, grabbing eagerly at the sparse opportunities to impress in Cup games.

But the young Englishman, a rare nationality amongst keepers at Old Trafford for whom Alex Stepney was the last Englishman to hold down a regular starting spot for the Red Devils back in the early 1970's, is looking to Sunday's League Cup final as a rare chance for him to help claim some silverware.

"It is a good opportunity to win a medal," Foster told The Daily Mail. "If I do play, it will be absolutely fantastic.

"All the lads are buzzing. Those who are in contention cannot wait for it to come. It would be a special day for me if I could play in it and win it. Sunday could be a bit of a stage for me to remind people of what I am about.

"When I finished at Watford I had a little bit of a reputation as a decent up-and-coming goalkeeper and in the last couple of years because of circumstances I have faded away almost.

"It is a good chance to get my name back out there and people can see that I am still around and still a good goalkeeper."

The keeper feels that he is at last finding some consistency as far as his fitness goes, with his progress having been hampered over the last few seasons by a series of injuries.

"It’s been an absolute nightmare from when I came back here from being on loan at Watford," he explained.

"It just seemed to be injury after injury. Now I seem to be putting a run of fitness together. I’m training every day, my body feels good, and I’m playing the odd first-team game here and there which is good for me."

And Foster's eagerness to feature on Sunday at Wembley was palpable as he concluded, "To play on Sunday would be an unbelievable bonus and a massive up for me. It has been heartbreaking to watch United win things when I cannot be involved."

0 comments: