Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cristiano Ronaldo Aiming For Perfect 10 In 2009

Looking at the statistics sheet, it seems Cristiano Ronaldo's 2007-08 campaign was virtually flawless. Very rarely does a player score 42 goals in a season, let alone win on the way to winning both the Premier League and Champions League.

Naturally, the individual accolades soon followed, as the Manchester United star claimed the Ballon d'Or and the FIFPro award before being named the FIFA World Player of the Year earlier this month.

However, the 23-year-old believes he has a lot more to give, and he refused to give himself a perfect score when asked to give his efforts last term a mark out of 10.

“I can’t say 10, so nine,” Ronaldo said in The Daily Star. “I think I can improve all the time.

“10 is the maximum and I haven’t reached that yet so, I’d give myself nine. I hope 10 out of 10 is to come. I believe it will.

“My challenge is always to be better and better. You have to try for that. If you don’t try, you won’t win anything.”

The current campaign has been a frustrating one for Ronaldo, as he is yet to reach top form after spending the first few months on the sidelines.

And while the former Sporting Lisbon sensation is starting to back into the groove of things, he puts the Red Devils' fortunes above his own.

He said, “Some things went against me at the start of the season when I was injured, but my form is coming back and the team are winning. That’s the most important thing.

“Me scoring goals is not important, as long as the team wins. If that happens, I win too. I know if I keep working hard and doing the right things, my form is going to get better and better, so I don’t worry.

“I do try to make people happy with the way I play. When people come to the stadium to watch you, they want to enjoy themselves, and I try to make that happen.

“When you win, then everything is good. Winning, scoring, and beating defenders, that’s the order I like it.”

Resource: Goal.com

0 comments: